Sunday, June 27, 2010

"Dance is not just an art form, its a heart form"

Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know, I am WAAYYY late with this! But, I'm going to talk about my views of this season of So You Think You Can Dance anyway!

I totally agree with the judges about performing. So many of this season's dancers are not giving us a show. They are not telling a story. They are just doing a bunch of movement that just so happen to follow well with the music. A lot of dancers, even professional dancers, don't know how to perform well. Dance is not about plastering a generic smile on your face while you do a set of movement, it is a form of EXPRESSION! You have to, as Brianna stated in her last post, feel the music.

Nothing is more disappointing to me than watching a beautifully techniqued dancer with absolute NO emotion. As a dancer, you are an actor. It's just the way it is. It is up to you to tell the story. If you don't, then the audience just feels awkward and confused. Most of the audience you are performing for, are not skilled dancers. They expect a good show. Therefore, they are NOT going to look at your feet, like your choreographer or other skilled dancers (ahem me and Bri). Instead, they are going to look at your FACE. So, give them a story! Don't leave them hanging or questioning! GIVE THEM A SHOW! There is obviously something your choreographer or teacher wants to express through a dance, which means that you have to express/feel that as well. Be believable with your acting. Make me believe that you are a single mother with no job and is beaten daily by her ex-boyfriend. Make me
believe that you have found the man of your dreams at the local cafe. Make me believe that you are angry at the world. MAKE ME BELIEVE YOU! Weak emotions equal weak dance.

On a quick note, WHO IS EXCITED ABOUT NATIONAL DANCE DAY JULY 31!? Dont forget to download the dance at http://www.dizzyfeetfoundation.org/
hugs, kisses, and pointed feet!
anne:]

1 comment:

  1. I really like this blog post! After the dance intensive we should blog about it together! I like hugs, kisses, and callouses

    ReplyDelete