Wednesday, December 8, 2010

My Worst Audition

That's right, I said it. I, Anne, had the WORST audition last week when I auditioned to be in the Darton Dance Department. The audition required of me to take a ballet barre, a modern across the floor, an interview, and a 2-minute solo piece (of course, mine was only 1:05, but it was ok!)

Just like at any audition, we all had to wear a number somewhere pinned on our leotard. I picked the number 2 without fully processing I was the second person in the line-up and the second person who would be performing my solo. I tried not to let that stress me out, even though it really did!

Anyways, the audition started out fine with the ballet portion and the modern across the floor. I was feeling pretty good about myself. I was really excited about my solo because a) it was a solo I have already performed, b) I was the only one in this go-around who was doing classical pointe, and c) I was dancing to the Spanish variation from Nutcracker (please see post about how I wish I was Spanish.)

When it was my turn to perform my solo, I gave Jenn my CD and went into my starting position. The CD player was on the floor and every time I jumped near it, the CD would skip. I was COMPLETELY off the music the whole time. I was doing four fouette turns in my dance, but because my music skipped, I could only do two but I didn’t even have time for those. My music stopped mid-turn. It was so bad! And, not to mention, one of the judges was a dancer with the Atlanta Ballet! I was so embarrassed! I tried to not let my music situation affect my interview, but as soon as I walked out of the studio, I called my boyfriend and just cried on the phone for the longest time.

Being the fantastic boyfriend he was, he knows how to handle an Emotional Anne, he comforted me and reassured me that I should be a dance major and pursue dance as my career. He had to reassure me because when Emotional Anne comes out, so does the Melodramatic Anne.

After the auditions were over, I stuck around to talk to Jenn and apologize for my horrendous audition. "Are you kidding?!" she said. "The judges loved you!" You have no idea how much better that made me feel! I was so happy!

Even though I still consider it my WORST audition, I need to remember that I judge myself harder than most judges will for me. I am my own worst critic, true story. I need to not freak myself out when little things (like a CD skipping) happen. Mishaps like this happen everyday and I need to be sure that my dance ability and love of dance shine through all of those unfortunate events.

Ok, so I am a very spiritual person. And that day, I was NOT dancing for God. I was dancing for myself and it went bad. One of the things that my boyfriend told me was that God put me on this earth to dance, and even if I did a HORRIBLE job, He is still proud of me and loves me. How cool is that?

What I’m trying to say is that having a bad class, bad audition, or a bad performance should not stop you from doing what you love. If you believe you were put on this earth to dance, then by jove, dance! What are you waiting for?!

BOYFRIEND BRAG!!!! I meant to say this a long time ago, BUT my boo surprised me with tickets to see the Atlanta Ballet's Nutcracker Boot Boot Hoot Yeah! All he does is win!

Ok, so I have two pictures this week: one is my winner of a boyfriend, and the other is a result for typing in "sad dancer" into google images!

Loser (because she let a bad performance affect her love of dance)

WINNER (for allowing me to see 3 Nutcrackers!)

Hugs, Kisses, and Sugarplums!
Anne:)

9 comments:

  1. Aww Anne, I love you!! The reason I'm sometimes mean to you (not really) is because I'm so jealous of your talent. even if you fell on your face during a performance/audition I'd still think you're amazing! You're my Polina Semionova! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. jennifer! that is the BEST compliment ever! thank you so much! you are the best:) i love you too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love these words...

    "What I’m trying to say is that having a bad class, bad audition, or a bad performance should not stop you from doing what you love. If you believe you were put on this earth to dance, then by jove, dance! What are you waiting for?!"


    So true! ♡ from Spain! ... and fuc*** cd player!!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. thank you so much alba! i'm so glad you enjoyed it. and yes, i was very upset with the CD player as well! i had the song on my ipod, but its been acting weird lately. as i said, it all worked out in the end!:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aw, sounds like you had a rough time! I hope you get the audition (:

    ReplyDelete
  6. after hearing what jenn said, i'm pretty sure i did. thanks chloey!:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You would be surprised at what can come out of what you think is a "bad" audition! I had what I thought was MY worst audition about a month ago and I got a Callback!! Which means I'm on to round 2...:| Anyway it just goes to show that they could see something in you thateven you don't see.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I totally agree ChaCha! That's one of the things my boo told me. But congrats on getting a callback! You will do fine on round 2! Merde:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am in love with the picture of the sad little dancer! I want to use it as wallpaper on my desktop- any idea where I can get a bigger picture of it? or who took the photo?

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete