Friday, November 5, 2010

Interview with Jenn!

Hey Guys! Anne here:) I found some interesting stuff about my dancing and wanted to share it with you all!

Every semester, every person taking a dance class at my college has an interview with the dance director (the FABULOUS Jennifer La Curan!!). Jenn films our dance classes. Then, we have to watch the video and critique ourselves (oh the horror!). After we have critiqued ourselves, we have an interview with Jenn to get advice and to get tips to improve our dancing. My interview was Oct. 29th and I found a lot of stuff out!

Pelvis Problems:
Growing up in dance, I was always told to not stick my bottom out. Hearing this, I did the opposite by tucking my bottom in. Tucking the bottom in pushes the pelvis forward which creates an awkward line and prevents you from doing many steps properly. For example, whenever I did an arabesque or an attitude, I would thrust my pelvis out and it would feel very uncomfortable. I found out that I not only need to work on my back flexibility but also my hip flexibility. Along with my back exercises, I am also doing hip flexibility exercises. If you have any suggestions please comment!!:)

Pointing vs. Crunching My Toes:
Again, when I was a child, I was always told to point my feet. For some strange reason, I thought this meant crunching the toes (or pointing from the toes.) My mother always tried to correct me, but I never understood how to point them properly. But Jenn showed me that I need to point with the muscles in my foot, not in my toes. Pointing them correctly has made it somewhat easier to flair my feet (another thing I was just told about last summer.) However, I need to build those muscles in my foot up so I will be doing arch exercises as well:)


Well, it is almost time for Thanksgiving Break and I am super excited! I need to rest for awhile:)
Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!
Hugs, Kisses, and Flexible Hips!
Anne:)

2 comments:

  1. I have been seeing an osteopath about similar pelvis problems and the issue with misaligned SI or pelvis joints is that then the muscles take on a lot of the strain.

    One of the things my osteo has been doing to help me is working into the muscles behind my hip joint to release the tension in my muscles (which in turn makes it harder to extend at the rear or do anything requiring freedom in those muscles) A tip she gave me to practise at home is to lay on a tennis ball with the ball on your bottom cheek (sort of directly behind your hip bone but to the side of your SI joint) and roll forwards, backwards and to the side. It's quite painful at first (as your muscles have been overcompensating and spasming) but it gets easier as your muscles become looser.

    Hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow hannah! thank you so much for the tip! i will DEFINITELY try that. thanks again:)

    ReplyDelete