Friday, August 6, 2010

New York New York!!

Brianna here! I'm soso sorry it's been a billion and one years since I've posted something. Anne and I have been pretty busy getting ready to start college and everything. Things are finally starting to slow down, and I have time to write! So at the beginning of July, I went to *sigh* New York...you need to know my heart is completely taken and it is aching for the Big Apple!!! While I was there I saw two shows: Mary Poppins (magical) and American Ballet Theater's Romeo and Juliet (no words). I'll start with Mary Poppins:
Think of any fantabulous word and you just described Mary Poppins on Broadway. Not only do I absolutely love musical theatre, but of course I L-O-V-E the dancing. The choreography was absolutely astounding. I sat there bedazzled and in awe in my seat. I cheered, I clapped, whooped, and hollered...especially after the number, "Step In Time", an absolutely incredible tap number...did I mention Burt (played by Christian Borle)tap dances on the ceiling?!! Yeah, I know! Not to mention whenever I watched the number "Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious", I thought to myself, "How did the choreographer come up with that?!?" So incredible. One thing is for sure and that the choreographers on Broadway know what they are doing, and they are good at it...but then again, it IS BROADWAY!! I highly recommend the show!
And then there was the American Ballet Theater production of "Romeo and Juliet." Though ABT did present it, it seemed to mainly be students from there school and summer programs. And though I didn't see any principal dancers such as..oh I don't know Gillian Murphy, the ballet was beyond incredible. Since "classy people don't woo" (which is what I told my father), I oohed and awed and repeatedly stated, "Oh that's so beautiful." over and over again. As always, not only did I sit in my seat and find everything that happened on stage unbelievably beautiful and impressive, but I was amazed by the choreography. It was so beautiful. For instance, when Juliet appears to be dead, her and Romeo are doing all these beautiful lifts. But, she has to maintain the appearance of being "asleep" while at the same time doing her job to keep her muscles tightened, and her feet pointed...it was just so amazing. If you ever have the opportunity to go see any type of professional ballet...GO! It will blow your mind...and make you want a ballet class right then and there.
Well that's all I really have to say. I wish I could have been a little more articulate, but there's only so many words to describe the experience of Broadway, or a ballet! See you next time! Oh! And here's Ashley Brown as Mary Poppins in the number supercalifragilisticexpialidocious" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkHV6THFoDs I saw Laura Michelle Kelly (the original Mary on broadway) and a different cast but I didn't think you would mind!! [:
Hugs and kisses,
Brianna

No comments:

Post a Comment